A Joyful Spirit

“Aren’t my feet amazing?” she says with a smile, as she is getting out of the tub.  I look down at her little feet with her pink nails and soft skin, wrinkled from the warm water.  “Ohhh yes, they are absolutely beautiful” I tell her.

I hear her little sing-song voice happily rejoicing over the simplest happenings of the day.  She creates a tune about the cat’s nap, an outing to the store, a visit with Grandma or even brushing her teeth.  The twinkling of Christmas lights that adorn our neighbors’ homes are, to her, awe inspiring.  The sight of something sweet to eat will always catch her eye, eliciting cries of glee and the clapping of her little hands.
My sweet little girl, just barely four, takes delight in the simple things that life has to offer and in its subtle beauty.

As the end of this year draws near, I think, as I always do, about how the coming year signals a fresh start…possibly a new way of looking at things.  I wonder if some of my daughter’s appreciation for herself and the little things that amaze her could be sprinkled over me, like a magical pixie dust, washing away some of my ideas about life and myself, transforming my thoughts into those that have not yet been colored by the world.  A freshening of the spirit, so to speak.
My wish is to take in all of the laughter, beauty and happiness that the world has to offer.  To rejoice over life’s simple pleasures and appreciate all that I have.  And to try and see the world through the eyes of a child.
Best wishes to you all β™₯ Tricia

• Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage

She sounds like a real sweetie! Enjoy every wonder filled moment with her!

December 19, 2010 at 7:57 pm Reply
  • Sarah @ Modern Country Style

What a really heart-warming post, Trcia. Your little girl sounds like a total cutie. I was thinking the exact same thing today when I was watching my children in the snow, shouting and laughing, despite the cold….and so I went shouting and laughing after them. And, do you know what? I absolutely LOVED it! It felt like being a little girl again.

December 19, 2010 at 8:26 pm Reply
  • Courtney ~ French Country Cottage

Hi Tricia~ I love this post.
    I love your thoughts about life, people and things in general- I remember the very first post I found of yours…don't know how I got here exactly but it was the one about EAT PRAY LOVE… and I knew instantly that I liked you! πŸ™‚ and I could relate to what you were talking about for sure. Love this post too- so very sweet. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

December 19, 2010 at 8:56 pm Reply
  • La Vie Quotidienne

So lovely and they grow up so fast…enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. She is adorable.

December 19, 2010 at 8:59 pm Reply
  • Shannon

Beautifully said! It is always the little things that make them so happy πŸ™‚

P.S. I emailed you about my table runner, not sure if you got it though?

December 19, 2010 at 9:31 pm Reply
  • Pam

I need her to sprinkle some pixie dust my way. Life was so much easier back when we didn't have so many adult worries and responsibilities.

December 19, 2010 at 10:10 pm Reply
  • Sharing with Sherri

Oh what a little sweetie your little girl is! Thank goodness for the innocent spirit of the children to remind us of the simple pleasures to delight in! I think I'll go paint my toenails!!

Warm wishes to you and yours for Christmas and the New Year!
    Sherri:)

December 20, 2010 at 12:16 am Reply
  • Ashley

Great post, she is adorable! My daughter is three and a half, and you are right, everything is so amazing and beautiful to her. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

December 20, 2010 at 1:40 am Reply
  • Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack

What a sweet post! I love the spirit and honesty of a child. I wish I could bottle it. I could use some Pixie dust and pink toenails. Very sweet!

Merry Christmas!
    ~Michelle

December 20, 2010 at 2:31 am Reply
  • Heaven's Walk -

Beautifully said, Tricia…What a blessing she must be in your life – as you are in ours! πŸ™‚ Merry Christmas, friend!

December 20, 2010 at 2:54 am Reply
  • Polly

ahhhh Tricia, you are blessed with the sweetness of a child in your life!! I always feel so filled with joy after spending time with my friends little ones often laughing until our sides hurt! You're right about looking at the world through the eyes of a child…..it's a whole new perspective!!

Polly

December 20, 2010 at 2:54 am Reply
  • Between You and Me

beautiful words….have the merriest Christmas and the happiest new year ever!!!

December 20, 2010 at 2:55 am Reply
  • Rachel

~*~Beautiful post~*~Your daughter is darling!~*~Hugs~*~Rachel~*~*

*French Farmhouse 425*

December 20, 2010 at 3:15 am Reply
  • Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal

Beautiful! Both her little feet and her amazing spirit. We could all learn a thing or two from children and the amazement that they find in the world around them. You should bottle that pixie dust and share it. We could all use a little sprinkle!

December 20, 2010 at 5:27 am Reply
  • koralee

Your images are adorable and so is your sweetpea…sending you oodles of JOY for a wonderful PreChristmas week… oxooxxo

Thank you for your sweet comments you always leave me….xoxoxo hugs.

December 20, 2010 at 6:04 am Reply
  • Cindy Adkins

Oh Tricia, Your daughter is adorable!!! And I just saw your pics of your house and of the snow outside…what magnificence!!! I love the colors of your packages, ribbon, and tags–too precious!! I love it all and what a delight to see all of this and dwell in the "Christmas Spirit."

Merry Christmas to you and your family!!! I hope you have a wonderful time. My daughter is coming from Atlanta–I'm SOOO excited!!! She's in college there…I can't wait to see her!!

Happy Holidays!
    XO

December 20, 2010 at 6:12 am Reply
  • Yvonne @ StoneGable

Tricia, Your daughter is adorable. And her outlook fostered by a loving and safe home. I too would love to have that innocence restored. What a good thing to think on!
    Blessings,
    Yvonne

December 20, 2010 at 6:34 am Reply
  • Dear Lillie

What a beautiful, beautiful post, Tricia!!!

December 20, 2010 at 7:42 am Reply
  • jacqueline

Dearest sweet tricia, this is sooo beautifully written! It warms my heart and make me smiles! Thanks so much to your little girl for this reminder of such a beautiful sentiment "simple things that life has to offer and in its subtle beauty". Have a lovely merry happy week, happy holidays, and merry christmas! Love to you and yours!

December 20, 2010 at 8:33 am Reply
  • Firefly Hill

what a sweet sweet child! I hope you all have a beautiful Christmas…

thank you so much for dropping by my blog!

xo,

annie

December 20, 2010 at 1:24 pm Reply
  • Alicia

how much we can learn from our kids! thanks for putting things in perspective, tricia. have a great christmas πŸ™‚

December 20, 2010 at 2:40 pm Reply
  • Amy Kinser

Children are amazing in how they see things and interpret them. I love watching and listening to a sweet innocent child.

What a precious little one you have. My youngest is now 8 and my oldest 18 and one in between. I am still amazed by all of mine.

December 20, 2010 at 2:57 pm Reply
  • Sherry from Alabama

How precious! Oh, if we all could just see life through our children's eyes.

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

December 20, 2010 at 3:43 pm Reply

Be still my heart!!!!!

December 20, 2010 at 3:44 pm Reply
  • michelle

She is truly adorable and you are so right ,to see the world through the eyes of a child and take pleasure in the simplest of things is a true gift. They amaze me at their wonder and curiosity and bless me at the simple love they have for everything!
    Blessings to you and your family!

December 20, 2010 at 5:52 pm Reply

What a beautiful and precious little girl. I imagine she's pretty excited about Santa Claus coming to visit. Enjoy the season's magic.

December 20, 2010 at 8:57 pm Reply
  • Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com

LOVE this post Tricia. So true and thoughtful. P.S. Glad you're with me about Little House on the Prairie πŸ™‚

Valerie

December 21, 2010 at 2:11 am Reply
  • traci

what a beautiful post. your daughter is a doll!!! and her feet are amazing.

December 21, 2010 at 2:13 am Reply
  • Vanessa

This is such a lovely post Tricia! Your daughter is darling and sounds like she is just a little bit older than mine. Isn't everything magical for them right now? We drove to see some "big" Christmas lights tonight and yet Lauren oohhhed and ahhhed over the simple string of lights hanging in a convenience store window! LOL! I just love this age and it really is infectious to be around them and feel that spirit of excitement over the most simple things of life. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!
    Blessings,
    Vanessa

December 21, 2010 at 5:12 am Reply
  • Blessedmom's Simple Home

A beautiful wish and delightfully sweet photos of your dear little girl!
    Enjoy your Christmas πŸ™‚
    Blessings,
    Marcia

December 21, 2010 at 6:13 am Reply
  • Lissa

what a sweet post with such wisdom in it! Merry Christmas!

December 21, 2010 at 9:25 pm Reply
  • Secret Garden Cottage

Ohhh… to have the innocence and newness to life experiences of a child again… wouldn't that be wonderful! Please sprinkle some of that pixie dust over me, too!
    Merry Christmas, Tricia!
    ~ Jo πŸ™‚

December 22, 2010 at 3:02 am Reply
  • Hilary @ Sweet as June

beautiful. happy everything to you! πŸ™‚

December 22, 2010 at 3:08 am Reply
  • LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious

What a beautiful post Tricia! Oh I can feel that pixie dust left over from your sweet little daughter….and where did she get it? Well from her sweet momma of course!

May you and your family have the most wonderful memory making and peaceful Christmas and I look forward to seeing what God has in store for Yβ™₯U in 2010. It's going to be wonderful with pixie dust flowing continually all around you. You just wait and see!

β™₯Lee Ann

December 24, 2010 at 5:53 am Reply
  • daphne

I LOVE this post. .wonderful new year to everyone:)

December 27, 2010 at 9:02 am Reply