Very Cherry…and an Almond Oatmeal Crust

Happy Thursday to you!  Just thought I’d pop in for a quick hello
Last weekend was pretty wonderful here…warm weather, time with my family and, of course, food. We had a get together at my parents’ house on Monday. Our gatherings always involve something to nibble on and, while we all tend to really watch what we eat, we did decide to make an exception that day, splurge and have dessert.
Our minds were all aflutter with possibilities. “Oh, what should we have?” we wondered. My sister eventually came up with the idea of ice cream with a smorgasbord of toppings. Yes, it’s true…we went crazy with the idea. There was to be no half-hearted treats here. It was a feast for the eyes, as well as the taste buds….strawberries, pineapple, chocolate, caramel, crushed cookies…the list went on and on.
I very rarely buy ice cream, not to mention all the goodies that go on top, so needless to say, my children were thrilled!

Although I’ve been vowing to stop, I spent a lot of time baking last week…trying to come up with a simple, yet delicious sweet crust.  Why I do this to myself? I don’t know.

While one would normally think of eating ice cream in a bowl or a cone, I figured that a crust would be a good base for our dessert and that way I could test my recipe on everyone too! Excellent plan, don’t you think? My first attempts at playing crust creator resulted in something that was a bit too crunchy, to say the least, but I finally got it to where I want it…a nice and chewy oatmeal crust with a hint of almond.

While I do admit to having a sweet tooth, I also really love fruit. As I was preparing my dessert and getting ready for the all important taste test, I thought about the bag of cherries that I had just bought. Ripe and red, I figured they’d look and taste pretty good with that oatmeal crust and a bit of chocolate. Ummm, yes…it was very good.  A little too much so, since I had another “taste test” later that day 😉

Almond Oatmeal Crust

Makes four 4″ tart crusts.

• 1 3/4 generous cup quick oats
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup almond meal/flour
  • 1/4 cup oat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 tablespoon honey
In a medium size bowl, combine the quick oats, brown sugar, almond meal, oat flour, cinnamon and salt. Set aside. In a separate container, melt the butter and then add the almond extract and the honey. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir well.
Divide the mixture among four mini tart pans with removable bottoms, being sure to press the raw crust into the sides and bottom of the pan. Place the tart tins on a cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for approximately 13-15 minutes. Do not overbake or the crust may get too hard. Let the crust cool and then remove it from the pans.

Top it with whatever your little heart desires…or just eat it like a big cookie. Yes, it’s very good that way too 🙂

•  •  •  •  •  •  •  •
Well, lovely people, that’s all I have for today.  Hope you have a great weekend!

• * Villa Lieblich *

Again wonderful pictures and thank you for this wonderful recipe
    ♥Doris

May 31, 2012 at 6:54 am Reply
  • Amalie loves Denmark

Dear Tricia,

wow, I like the style you take your pics.

Wonderful and lovely!

Hugs

Amalie

May 31, 2012 at 7:06 am Reply
  • Tulla and Catie

Looks delicious and so healthy!
    Take care, Barbara

May 31, 2012 at 7:07 am Reply
  • Marge

Oh, so many wonderful, really lovely summer posts had coming here!!:)
    I love them♥

Have a wonderful time,
    Marge from Finland

May 31, 2012 at 7:17 am Reply

Up late waiting for youngest daughter's delayed flight home, so I'm here drooling over your lovely photos and pinning this recipe!

May 31, 2012 at 7:32 am Reply
  • tinajo

Delicious photos, love them! 🙂

May 31, 2012 at 7:37 am Reply
  • Sílvia

everything delicious 🙂

May 31, 2012 at 7:43 am Reply
  • Rosemary Aubut

Simply devine!

May 31, 2012 at 10:40 am Reply
  • Clara {Clover and Violet}

Looks delicious! Love your photos as always!

May 31, 2012 at 11:09 am Reply
  • Kim @ Savvy Southern Style

So pretty and that sure looks yummy especially since I am dieting.

May 31, 2012 at 11:57 am Reply
  • traci

this sounds yummy and your photography is devine. i could reach right through the monitor and eat it up. beautifully done.

May 31, 2012 at 12:23 pm Reply

How do you do it! Love to visit, always a wonderful treat:) Have a lovely weekend.

May 31, 2012 at 12:47 pm Reply
  • Urban Farmgirl

Like always, your photography rocks my socks off! And this looks yummy! I pinned it so it can pop up on my table later this summer! Thanks for sharing! ;o)

Mary

May 31, 2012 at 12:56 pm Reply
  • lisa.

Oh my goodness Tricia, I would have been right "at home" with you last weekend!!!
    I LOVE ice cream, and the crusts you made look and sound wonderful. Thank you for sharing your recipe. If I've told you this before, sorry, but it bears repeating…your food photographs are the very best. I love the way you style everything.
    Sending you wishes for a beautiful day!
    xo.

May 31, 2012 at 1:03 pm Reply
  • Sylvia

It's always a delight visiting your beautiful place in the " blogosphere". Your photos are amazing and the crust you made looks delicious and VERY tempting …with ice cream and cherries …Oh!

May 31, 2012 at 1:13 pm Reply

Tricia, I wish I was near you. I would come by and try everything you've been baking. It looks wonderful!!

May 31, 2012 at 1:24 pm Reply
  • Considerations

Gorgeous pictures and that crust sounds super delish! What a great way to eat ice cream! Thanks for sharing!

May 31, 2012 at 1:35 pm Reply
  • hootnonny

The crust looks divine and an ice cream toppings bar sounds decadent! Never thought of eating ice cream in a crust, unless a pie I had at the home of my husband's boss counts. It was a chocolate graham cracker crust, coffee ice cream, topped with thick chocolate.

His wife was a home ec teacher. They lived in a modern house (40 years ago) with huge windows and the drapes (she made, of course) were white eyelet and instead of pulling the drapes, she pulled the sheers. I loved those and the ice cream pie. Sorry – your ice cream took me back to Tallahassee and I took you with me!

And as always, your vignettes are wonderful! Have a great day!

May 31, 2012 at 1:42 pm Reply
  • Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage

Oh man…that looks so yummy!! I am not a big ice cream eater, but with your yummy crust and some fruit I am all in!

May 31, 2012 at 1:58 pm Reply
  • Home and Lifestyle

That's all delicious, I like it!

With love, Ingrid

May 31, 2012 at 2:37 pm Reply
  • Rachel Pallas

LOVE your photos!! xoxo

May 31, 2012 at 3:20 pm Reply
  • A Defined Life

Beyond beautiful! You inspire me to be better a the things I do.

May 31, 2012 at 3:32 pm Reply
  • Vi~

The recipe is beautiful but I like your photos mostly 😛 Thank you for sharing them!

May 31, 2012 at 3:56 pm Reply
  • Susan @ Afford Your Passions

I'm going to pass on the crust, since I'm trying to lose weight, but I just had to pop in to tell you I love all your images, as always!

Have a wonderful weekend!

May 31, 2012 at 4:15 pm Reply
  • Nely

The recipe is so wonderful,
    Big hugs!
    Nely…

May 31, 2012 at 5:00 pm Reply
  • Donna

Sounds like you all have a Creamy and Delicious Time!!
    Love the photos!!
    hughugs

May 31, 2012 at 5:41 pm Reply
  • Ellie

Sounds and looks so tasty. I'm really trying to watch what I am eating at the moment but sometimes you just have to have a wee treat don't you.
    Your oatmeal crusts look really nice.
    Wonderful pictures – as usual :))

May 31, 2012 at 7:29 pm Reply
  • Gail Dixon (Louisiana Belle)

I cannot eat ice cream by itself and very rarely crave it, but the CRUST. Looks divine and the perfect accompaniment to the ice cream. YUM! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

May 31, 2012 at 7:52 pm Reply
  • I SOGNI DI CLAUDETTE

favoloso…..ciao da claudette

May 31, 2012 at 10:02 pm Reply

Oh so yummy sounding! I am visiting my parents in CA and their cherries trees are just covered with ripe fruit… I can eat my fill… Beautiful photos!

May 31, 2012 at 10:04 pm Reply
  • Marina {Yummy Mummy)

Oh this sounds divine! So summery!

May 31, 2012 at 10:09 pm Reply
  • kelly

Beautiful photos, Tricia. I love the crusts and the reds look fabulous. Just to let you know that the new photo came on my home page, but when I go into your Facebook page I can't see the photos there. It might be just me, but I thought I would let you know.

Kelly.

May 31, 2012 at 10:36 pm Reply
  • Pink Roses and Teacups

Ummmmm, yummy! I must try this!!! When I saw the title of this on my sidebar, I said Oh, my!!!!

Debbie

May 31, 2012 at 10:47 pm Reply
  • Patricia Preston

Wow! What beautiful photography! Kudos!

May 31, 2012 at 11:15 pm Reply

Always BEAUTIFUL. Always.

May 31, 2012 at 11:24 pm Reply

Tricia, I made your blueberry cobbler and it was delicious! We all thanked you as we gobbled it down. Now you have a new recipe that sounds delicious too. Hmm, I love sweets so this might be dangerous!
    I also want to tell you how beautiful the photos are of your daughter in the previous post. I love that she is in love with nature. All your photos in all your posts are fantastic.
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend. XO

June 1, 2012 at 12:12 am Reply
  • jacqueline

Dearest sweet Tricia, it's soooo good to be back here visiting and catching up! I love cherries lots and your settings in these photos are just so inspiring and beautiful. They make me smile.

I've been feeling under the weather and it wouldn't allow me to do much of a blogging, blog visiting and crafting. I am hoping to get back in the swing of things soon because i just miss you and everyone on blogland so so much!

Have a lovely merry happy friday and love to you!

June 1, 2012 at 2:07 am Reply
  • Vickie @ Ranger 911

Please pass me a spoon!!! Your photos are gorgeous and the food looks just as good. I see a beautifully illustrated recipe book in your future.

June 1, 2012 at 4:46 am Reply
  • Blueberry

I can feel summer from your pictures!…

June 1, 2012 at 7:13 pm Reply

Could this post look any yummier. Your photos look amazing.

I do hope you have a happy Weekend.

Hugs~

June 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm Reply
  • Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com

Hello my sweet blogging friend. LOVE your photos as usual. You are very clever making crust for ice cream. I just might have to give it a try 🙂 I love me some ice cream. Unlike you I rarely don't have ice cream in the house…HA! Happy weekend.

June 2, 2012 at 4:22 am Reply
  • Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop

Ok you have to have the most stunning food posts I have ever seen….real works of art!! x0

June 2, 2012 at 5:04 pm Reply

You added the cherry pits in your comp – I like that!! 🙂 Is this with your new lens? So bright and beautiful! I never buy ice cream either, but I am wanting to try the new Ben & Jerry's Greek Yogurt icecream with fudge chunks – sounds so good. I can only eat ice cream with chunks. Your homemade crust looks divine!

June 2, 2012 at 6:29 pm Reply
  • Candylei

ohhh, it sounds delicious. Isn't baking with fresh ingredients in the summer fun and tasty? Beautiful styling on your photographs. I have much to learn.

June 3, 2012 at 2:37 am Reply
  • Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic

Your photos are amazing, as always. The dessert looks sinfully delicious. Gorgeous, all of it!

~Shanon

June 3, 2012 at 3:43 am Reply
  • DREAMS ON 34th STREET ~ French Bread & Family

Bookmarked Tricia!
    I don't want to look this beautiful post!
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

June 4, 2012 at 1:06 am Reply
  • einfallsReich

amazing photos … i love the linnen with the red stripes and the cherries! your receipt sounds yummy!!!
    all the best
    amy

June 4, 2012 at 2:14 pm Reply
  • Katherines Corner

Oh my word, lovely photos and delish recipe with almond oatmeal crust! Yes please I'll have a slice please.Hugs and wishes for a beautiful week ahead xo

June 4, 2012 at 5:32 pm Reply
  • Amish Stories

Looks very refreshing, and those cherry's look perfect! Richard

June 5, 2012 at 12:06 pm Reply
  • A Pretty Life in the Suburbs

This looks so delicious! And your photos!! AH-mazing! I'm so stunned (in a good way!) every time I come over here – you are SO talented!
    Jo-Anna

June 5, 2012 at 5:21 pm Reply
  • Cheryl

such a great post. the photo's are really beautiful and your pages are so clean looking.
    I'm just getting started and this is a very pleasing site to start with..
    Thanks for the recipe also…looks yummy.
    BTW I'm an ice cream freak so that sounded good to me.

June 6, 2012 at 2:00 am Reply

Beyond beautiful, and so yummy too.
    I can see a gorgeous recipe book in your future. 🙂
    Have a lovely rest of the week!

June 6, 2012 at 11:33 pm Reply
  • Cindy

I just love your blog! Everytime I come here, I am delighted!
    Beautiful photos, yummy recipes…pure joy!

June 7, 2012 at 2:12 pm Reply
  • Sandy

At first when I saw the recipe for the tart crust I was thinking ohhh 6 Tbls butter, but then saw that it made 4 servings, so that's not really too bad. 1 TBLS and and half for each one, unless of course I can't add correctly. But they sure do look good, besides who's counting butter fat?! I very rarely buy ice cream too because I can't find any that really tastes like the good old fashioned stuff we had as kids. But I will buy it occasionally. And fruit, I'm crazy for fruit too and buy tons of it.

Gorgeous pictures as usual Tricia, although they are a bit different in a good way! Love that table runner! That first and second and so on…photo's are exquisite!!! cherries, daisies and milk go together very well! ♥

Sorry i haven't been around. lots going on and I wish it would settle down here for awhile lol I hope to post soon!

June 8, 2012 at 6:54 pm Reply
  • Sandy

love the new look too! sorry on the last comment, I was signed into an old google account!

June 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm Reply
  • Sandy

oh, darn it, I also wanted to say, not only are you an excellent photographer, but I love the way you write too. you have a cute flair with words and I loved your expression "the crust creator" LOL!

June 8, 2012 at 6:58 pm Reply
  • Sandra van Doorn

what a feast of colours and beauty. your photos are wonderful.

June 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm Reply
  • Anne Lorys - Fiona and Twig

Delightfully gorgeous!

June 8, 2012 at 10:35 pm Reply
  • Svenja

amazing pictures as always tricia… please publish a book!! your blog is one of my absolutely favorites!!
    hugs, svenja

June 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm Reply
  • LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious

Beautiful photos Tricia and thank you for that oatmeal crust recipe. It looks scrumptious too. I've missed talking to you via our blogs. I've been slower these days getting posts put up. I sure hope you are having a wonderful summer.

♥Lee Ann

June 11, 2012 at 12:34 am Reply
  • Cindy Garber Iverson

The crust sounds delightful especially since it has a hint of almond in it. I am in love with your cherry photos! I've been craving cherries lately and now your post has heightened that craving. I hope I can find some good organic ones soon. 🙂

Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

June 12, 2012 at 7:07 pm Reply
  • Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com

Where or where has my Tricia been? Hope everything is good. Missing you 🙂

June 14, 2012 at 4:58 am Reply
  • Carole

Your photography is absolutely stunning!

December 20, 2012 at 2:54 am Reply

Yum and gorgeous! Glad you are back….love the porch too:)

February 28, 2014 at 4:31 pm Reply
  • Michael

Saw one of these photos on pinterest and just had to look. BEAUTIFUL work.

August 24, 2014 at 1:41 am Reply